THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES ?

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kallie's Arrival

Kallie arrived on May 26th, 2009 at 7:50am. She weighed 8lbs 3oz and was 21 1/4 inches long. She has SO much dark hair and is just beautiful. The csection went really well! The morning started out a bit rough, b/c I had to be up so early I was already a little sick to my stomach. When the nurses tried to start the IV, I got sick and started throwing up. She had to quit working on that arm, so they stuck my other arm, and the first nurse couldn't get it and then the second nurse tried and couldn't get it there either. So then they brought in another nurse and she finally got it started in my right hand. The nerves really got a hold of me then and I was REALLY freaking out. But I heard Kennedy Jane's little voice as she came down the hall looking for me and all my fears were gone.

We got in the OR and they got to work on the spinal. It was harder than last time, it seemed that he had a harder time finding the spot he needed. One time it was a sharp pain but he got it started. I told them before that I would throw up and already had but unfortunately they didn't listen so I was throwing up on the table in the OR. They finally got that under control and before I knew it she was out. I think it was about 2min after they started. She came out screaming right away and was just beautiful!! They tied my tubes and the whole procedure took 11min start to finish.

I got back in my room and felt so much more relaxed. Kallie started nursing right away and has nursed like a champ ever since!! The doctor did mention that she was really swollen but that can be normal so we weren't concerned about it. When I did see her she was definetly swollen and her skin was really dry but we just weren't worried.

The next morning the pediatrician came in and said that she looked so much better and that he thought it was either skin irritation from the amniotic fluid or she was gestationally further along that we thought. He said that he wanted to bring in a Neonatologist and we would know more then.

So we met the Neo later in the morning and he diagnosed her with Colodiun baby, which is a VERY serious skin disease. Scot didn't agree with that b/c having called on dermatologists before he knew enough to know that was not it. So then they brought in a geneticist and he said that it was Ichthyosis which is a much more mild version of Colodiun. He wanted us to run a genetics test on her b/c this is inherited. He also suggested that we see a dermatologist to get an accurate diagnoses.

We talked a lot about the genetics test and decided that it didn't make sense right now. It would not change how we treat her or the diagnoses and it increases the risk for infection b/c there will be an open spot on her skin.

Our pediatrician made a few phone calls and was able to get us in with a derm on Monday, so we will know a lot more at that time.

0 comments: